Travelling with Sylvanians

I spend about half my year away from "home" at university, but I'm never far from a few critters! Currently, I have my kangaroos and the hedgehogs with me, plus the campervan. Today, I'm going to share some tips and tricks for travelling with your flocked friends.

The Day Trip:
This is everyone's guilty pleasure! Joanne usually travels with me, and you can see her adventures here.
I usually keep her wrapped in a piece of felt or fabric, in an IKEA box or small container. This is to protect her from scratches and dirt, and also so I can find her easily when I need to.

Here are the kangaroos visiting SSK earlier this year!

Short trip: holiday!
There's so many advantages to taking your Sylvanians with you, however, there are some hazards, too! I've never travelled abroad with mine, but I'm confident they'd get through the scanners.
Suncream, sand, seawater and sticky fingers all pose risks, so I'd suggest additional protection such as plastic ziplock bags. For photos on the beach, talcum powder removes sand from skin effortlessly, so it's worth packing some to clean your hands well before getting your critters out. I'd also be very careful about getting them wet, as seawater will make your critters smell.
Pack light for holidays! You're able to photograph your Sylvanians with their stuff at home, so enjoy using the unfamiliar surroundings for photos instead.



Packing for uni, or a long trip:
I packed quite light this term- for me! I packed ten total figures, plus a few accessories like the roofrack set, some bedding, toys and food. I pack much more of my craft stuff to make things in the evenings, then I can utilise my time at home to set up my figures and take photos. It's also worth noting that most UK university bedrooms are absolutely tiny! While I'm lucky to have a bigger room, it's still a big squeeze to fit everything. Last term, this was the result of a little over packing!
Can anyone guess what I study?!


Overall tips:
  • Never take truly precious or valuable figures out with you- I tend to think of the worst, and only take critters I could bear to lose or easily replace. 
  • Be realistic- are you actually going to photograph or play with everything you take?
  • Be aware of any restrictions of countries you visit- you don't want to risk having your property confiscated. Heavy vehicles or boxes will also take up luggage space.
  • Make sure to look after your Sylvanians- never leave them unattended as they could get taken or knocked over/trodden on.
  • Silica packets found in handbags and shoes are worth packing if taking critters to a humid environment- this will keep them fresher.
  • Pack a care kit- I always have a small role of sellotape, a soft baby toothbrush and a pair of tweezers with me in case I need to do a little TLC for my Sylvanians. 
  • Make sure you know who you have with you! I've had awful times where I'm not sure if I have left a Sylvanian at home or if I've lost them!
  • Be considerate while taking photos- don't block attractions for ages taking the perfect shot as you'll annoy others and get in the way. If you are in a busy place, be aware for yourself, others, and your figures. 
  • Have fun! I'd love to see your best photos of travelling critters. 
See you soon! Fox xx

Comments

Popular Posts