Sylvanian tricks and tips


It’s a busy time, here! I go back to uni next week, so I’m frantically taking a load of pictures for the blog and for Fridays. While doing it, I had an idea for my second post: My top ten Sylvanian hacks!

1.      I got my Old Mill very cheaply second hand in Oxfam, a UK charity shop. However, it had no parts except the red dome, and when I spoke to SSK, it would cost £20 to get them, and while I like the mill, it’s still perfectly good for living in, and I’m not the wealthiest student! I have two Field View Mills, and I noticed the spare side ladders- on further investigation, and a little fiddling, these are a great fit for The Old Mill ladders!


2.      Glue dots- these are best used for things that aren’t very valuable- or on smooth surfaces. I used a clear plastic hairslide case as a dressing table for my badger mother, and found glue dots perfect for holding down the little bottles and things on it- blutak would be obvious, and I didn’t want to use glue.


3.      This is another glue themed hack- and probably a bit questionable for some, but after trying to source spares for TWO Field View Windmills at once, I refuse not to! I used trusty yellow UHU to carefully glue down the railings- it might take a few quid off if you sell the building, but it’s far better than losing the parts which really takes the value off. I so wish I had done this for Willow Hall when I was younger! If you do, I’d advise not gluing the ladders and gate down, as I move those a fair bit. Test any glue on the base of a building first, in case it erodes or melts the plastic. 

4.      To make a house look more lived in, create tiny drawings by the children living there. I also love making family photos, either by cutting up old catalogues and photos, or printing off a bunch of tiny photos off my computer of the figures- or baby versions, to make baby photos to put up. I love how homely the Stanley's canal looks here.


5.      Bows! Thankfully, Epoch have revolutionised the butts of my babies by making removable clothing for them. However, some dresses still have these fiddly little devils on, and here’s what to do when the inevitable happens…

A)    Find two pairs of tweezers. I must have about sixty, but who knows where they are? I buy them from Primark Beauty as I have no need to tweeze my invisible eyebrows, and they are cheap.

B)    Tie the bow using one pair to pinch the centre, and one to move the ribbons. Pull the bow around to the desired size.

C)    Trim any frayed ribbon and use a candle to very carefully singe the ends, if required. I rarely do this, as the ribbons don’t fray often.

D)    Use a dab of strong glue to secure the bow. I use UHU, and little enough to remove the bow and dress without cutting, if I have to, but enough to secure the bow. I use a cocktail stick or the end of fine tweezers.


6.      Magic sponges! These are cheap as chips and total stars when it comes to removing marks on old furniture. You have to wet them and then scrub a little, and it’s so satisfying to see the muck come off! I find them ace for cleaning up new buildings that I get second hand, and general pen/scratches. You can cut them up, and I sometimes soak them in baby shampoo to get dirt off as well as scratches for very old pieces. Never use them on a figure, however.

7.      This may kill some collectors, but for those who have no intention of selling, like me, you can use a tiny bit of biro on the feet of identical figures to identify them. This is especially good for my ducklings. I use the initial- eg, J, S, Q. You could also keep the stickers on one sibling, and not on the other. This is less a problem if you keep the clothes on your figures, but for children who happily rip them off, then you can mark them. Over time, I find myself getting better at recognising small differences between figures.

8.      I’m sure everyone knows this, but it’s a treat to do if you don’t! The mirrors in SF furniture and the caravan are covered by a very fine plastic film, like in some real mirrors. You can peel this off to reveal the glass behind it, and it’s often not removed in second hand furniture. 

9.      The stickers- I ALWAYS try to scan (I said try!) these so that I can replace them if needed. The towbar and trailer set comes with stickers for every car number plate, so is worth getting for this too! The Sylvanian forum has a fantastic thread with scans and stickers here: http://www.sylvanianfamiliesforum.co.za/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=104
If you aren't a member of the forum, it's amazing, and so useful. We are all friendly and the collectors there know so much, so why not join!?


10.  Again, fixing things down. This isn’t always useful, but for very small accessories used in houses, I use Blu-tack. It’s actually banned in our house, but I keep it well away from the little one and use small amounts secretly. It doesn’t damage plastics used by Sylvanian manufacturers, in my experience, but I can’t speak for everyone.






So, there are ten tips for Sylvanians! Remember to use your head when trying them, and only take risks with your collection that you are comfortable with- I can’t take responsibility for any damage!

Happy Collecting! Comment below any tips you especially enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts