Review: Sylvanian EPOCH Log Cabin

Sorry for not posting for a while- I've been super busy with coming home from uni and work experience!

I found a Log Cabin for £28.99, and it was listed as used with damaged packaging. I bought it, as I don't keep the packaging anyway, and have wanted a log cabin for a while. They always remind me of Laura Ingalls Wilder, which were some of my favourite books when I was younger.



It arrived and was immediately opened. To my surprise, the box looked brand new, and everything inside had obviously never been touched, or had been immaculately rewrapped. Here's what comes with it (besides the cabin).
The straight railings go on the upper balcony, the latter go around the hot tub. It's slightly less obvious working out where they go than usual, I noticed.

It didn't take too long to get everything in place. My Bullrush-Fletcher family will be settling in here.


Pros- I love the upstairs sleeping area, and would have wanted it as my bedroom if I was a Sylvanian. I also like the little gate on the balcony, as you can connect to other products, and it isn't too obvious. I also like the hot tub and shower, and have a few photoshoots planned.

Cons- I'm a little disappointed by the lack of details. The Epoch Starry Point Lighthouse only cost £4 more than this, and the detail on the lighthouse is gorgeous. Things like the blank ceiling on the inside, and the lack of tiny flowers/leaves, for example on windows, made it feel a bit cheap. I would have also liked some stickers and small accessories.

This also disappointed me- chipped paint and peeling plastic. I'm almost 100% sure this is manufacturing, as opposed to it being supposedly "used" as the rest of it is perfect, and smells new. Lately, a few Epoch products have been less than perfect. Only very small details, and I imagine small kids wouldn't even notice, but it cheapens the product further.


I also dislike the hammocks. They seem flimsy to me, and remind me of Playmobil- that's not a bad thing, but the lack of blankets, etc, bothers me, and they get in the way a lot when trying to arrange.

Overall, I would argue that the cheaper (average £20) Starter Cottage with the figure and furniture is far more useful and is one thing I feel really provides value from the Epoch brand and selection. Many of my buildings I love and would happily buy again (on my fourth FLAIR cottage!) but this feels like a real let down. I'd give it three stars, as I do like some things- the little steps down from the door are adorable, but the outside is quite plain, and a few window boxes added on would have really brightened it up.


I'm sure that once Lydia, Daniel, Parker and Mia move in properly, the little place will get some more charm and feel more homey! I wouldn't recommend this product personally, and would recommend buying the Starter Cottage, as mentioned, or saving a little more to get the Cedar Terrace. I buy almost all of my buildings second hand, so this was a bit of a blow considering I paid almost full price.

Thanks for reading!
Fox xx

Comments

  1. I´m sorry to hear you´re a bit dissapointed with the log cabin. I see what you mean about the lack of details and chipped paint but I still think it´s a nice building and once you have it furnished and decorated it will be a lovely and cozy home. Considering it´s brand new, the price was quite reasonable, it´s around 50-60 € in Spain so after all I think you did well in adding this building to your collection. I´m sure it will grow on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully! I began to decorate this afternoon and am adding some touches to cover the walls- some little pictures and drawings "drawn" by Parker and Mia. Wow! I didn't realise buildings in Spain were so costly. I plan to get some little flower boxes on eBay to decorate it and jazz it up, so I'll try and post some pictures of it after a makeover. I suppose it is a cabin, so I can't expect anything too fancy! Thanks for commenting xx.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to enter comments! Reminder: the little ones can see these, and we will remove any with bad language.

Popular Posts