Fit for a Queenie (Part One)

Meet Queenie Simpkins.

She loves to draw, dance and play with everyone. She's always smiling. 

This is Queenie's family- her foster family, at least. Penelope Trunk looks after Queenie, plus Yasmine Hedges and Wilson Grunt. 

One day, Queenie gets a surprise, during lessons, when Mr WIldwood is using a game to help the children with their maths.
"What's 22+11?" calls out Parker Bullrush, tossing the ball to Abigail Hogglesworth.
"33! What's 45-26?" she cries, and throws the ball towards Imogen Solitaire, who drops it, as she's a little startled.
Mrs Victoria knocks on the door, and Joanne is surprised to see her mum.
"So sorry to interrupt, Mr Wildwood. But could I have a word with Queenie?"
"Of course, Mrs Victoria! Why don't you go outside?"

Queenie trots outside, wondering what's going on. Mrs Victoria gives Queenie a smile, and passes her a letter from her pocket to read.


Dear Queenie, 
Our names are Millicent, Margaret and Amanda Simpkins, also known as Milly, Molly and Mandy. We are your great-aunts! Although elderly, we still have plenty of energy, and when we heard you were alone in Foxbridge, couldn't hesitate to come and take care of you. We will be sure to give you a very loving home. 
We promise to take very good care of you, and have a lot of fun. Milly is a wonderful cook, and will teach you how to make delicious cakes, while Molly loves to sew and makes beautiful outfits. Mandy is the musical sister, and cannot wait to teach you a few music hall classics. 
We plan to buy a small cottage in Foxbridge, and set up a happy home! We hope you will be able to have your own little bedroom. 
Looking forward to meeting you!
Milly, Molly and Mandy xxx


Queenie is a little startled. "But I've never met them!"
"They are very kind," reassures Jewell, "I spoke to them on the telephone earlier. They are coming as soon as they can."
"But I'll have to leave Penelope."
"You'll still see Penelope! And Yasmine and Wilson. But these ladies really want you to be their family, and we wouldn't let you go if you would be unhappy!" Jewell gives Queenie a little hug. "You know I'm the ambassador for Foxbridge, Queenie. I'm very careful that we only let kind and lovely critters in."
Thankfully, Queenie gives Jewell a big smile back. "I suppose they do sound kind. And I'd love to be able to bake cakes and sew and play the piano."

At breaktime, Queenie tells the news to Wilson and Yasmine.
Usually, the children play quoits with their friends, or hopscotch, but they climb up to have a little meeting in private while the others play.

Mr Wildwood can't quite work out the rules of the childrens' game, but he enjoys watching it! Imogen Solitaire doesn't like throwing or catching, but she enjoyed the maths lesson earlier, and decides to use her chalkboard to keep the scores.

"I'm sure they'll be lovely, Queenie. And you're very lucky to have a family of your own." Wilson sounds a little sad.
"I'm sure we'll have families, Wilson. And we're our own family!" Yasmine hugs Queenie. "You're a lucky girl, Queenie Simpkins! You'll have to invite us for tea so we can try your cooking and hear you play the piano!"
"And you can sew up my dungarees when I fall over, so Penny doesn't tell me off!" Wilson jokes, and they all laugh.
"Come on, let's go and play. Barnaby Bassett's winning again! How is he so good?"
"Parker and Mia have a set at home, and even they don't get it every time like he can!"

Barnaby is very good at this game! "Oops! Sorry, Imogen!"
Perhaps Barnaby needs to practice better!

It's hometime, and everybody's parents have arrived.
"Hello, Barnaby! How would you like to help me with the gardening?" June Silk cuddles her foster-son.
"Hello, Parker! Hi, Mia!" says Mr Fletcher, hugging his soon to be step-son.
"Not more football!" sighs Mortimer. "Come on, guys!"
"Daddy! We had a great day!" shouts Joanne.
"That's great, my little roodle-roo!" he laughs.
"I really don't like Imogen getting her dress dirty at playtimes," purrs Mrs Solitaire to Mr Wildwood. "It's designer!"
Rusty Wildwood and Isaac, Imogen's brother, quietly roll their eyes!"

Penny is a little sad, as she collects Queenie from school for the last time with Wilson and Yasmine, and they walk to her new home. "I'll always be here if you need a cup of tea!" Penny says, kindly. "You're always a part of my little foster family, and Foxbridge is a small village. We'll see you lots! But you'll have great fun!"
Queenie hugs Penny tightly. "You've been a wonderful foster mother! I couldn't have been luckier."
"Me, neither! Good luck, Queenie!"

I just can't resist this little cat and her smile! Queenie's three maiden aunts were a must-have on eBay for me, and hopefully, they'll be appearing soon! She's so hard to photograph, but the Simpkins family are absolutely GORGEOUS!
I also loved showing off St. John's school in this story, for the first time (it will be used as a community centre)  and a couple of new critters. I made the following outfits: Barnaby Bassett, Yasmine Hedges, the Solitaire siblings (Isaac and Imogen), Rusty and Herb Wildwood, Queenie, Penelope, Parker Bullrush, Mia Fletcher, Wilson Grunt. I especially love Queenie's dress, and the tiny jewels on it. The fabric is also used in the bedding for Field View Windmill (Cloud Hill Mill)
I also made the chalkboard Imogen uses, plus Queenie's little letter. The quoits sets came from Tiger (I think!) and the bell is from my sewing box, while Maxwell's football is a little eraser. Fun fact- my dungarees for Maxwell's twin, Thomas, haven't arrived yet, so he's facing backwards to hide his nudity! I plan to use my miniatures more in Part 2.

Enjoy!
Love, Fox xx

Comments

  1. Lovely story and pictures. I am sure Queenie will be happy with her new family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! Well done on both the photography and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for Queenie! Her aunts sound very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That´s a really sweet story! Milly, Molly and Mandy seem to be very kind ladies. Queenie will be very happy living with her three great-aunts.
    The dress you made for her is really cute!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to enter comments! Reminder: the little ones can see these, and we will remove any with bad language.

Popular Posts