Best miniature toys DIYs

I'm posting from university, so bear with when I don't have pictures, always! These are all simply yet great fun, and help add charm to the backgrounds of photos.
1. Jack in the box
This is a favourite! I know I've featured it before, but it's too cute not to include on this list.
I used the following:
  • Wooden cube- I found a pack of 36 for £1 in The Works
  • Acrylic paints from a modelling kit
  • Silver reflective paper
  • The wire from a spiral bound notebook
  • Small gemstones, also from The Works
  • A clay bear- I used airdry tiger clay
  • Half a perler/ironing bead
  • A tongue depresser
  • A cocktail stick
I painted the cube, and once dry, used a small needle end file to carve out a hole, then curled the wire around a pencil. You could probably just glue it flat to the top if you preferred, but I glued it into the hole.
Next, I added paint and paper to the tongue depressor. I cut it to the double the height of the block to make a lid, before gluing it on. I then stuck the spring on, and used a glue dot to attach the bear so it "sat" on the spring.
After this, I glued the cocktail stick handle onto the side, and decorated it, and the box. I also added half a perler bead to make a cute hat for the bear. 
Ta-dah!

2. Swords
Super easy, and the photo is so poor! I used an ice lolly stick, and cut out a rectangle, then shaped the point carefully using nail scissors. The problem was the wood splitting, so it took a few tries. I used the leftover wood to make the handle, and added a small stone to decorate. These can be made for babies or for children, depending on the size. Ruby models this one for us.

3. Dollshouses
These are another favourite of mine, as I've always loved dollshouses. I use cardboard, and then felt and coloured paper for interiors. I especially like this one, as it's got fluffy carpets and contrasts with the yellow! I add windows using photos from the leaflets in Sylvanian packaging.

4. Pram/buggies
Depending on the size of your balsa sticks, you can create a small pram, or a toy cart. If I repeat this, I'll make the handle smaller. I painted again with acrylic, and then built up the box slowly, using UHU, and pony bead wheels. I found acrylic paint best as it dried fast and didn't warp or crack the wood.

5. Puppet puppies
I always wanted my girls to have dolls, but they were tricky to source. Then, I saw these toy dogs in Wilko's, for £1 for a packet of four. I used scissors to cut the heads off, and wrapped a cloth body around them to create a toy.

6. Playpens
A staple for me! I use inhaler boxes, and then pick out stickers. I have added in broken pieces to some of them, for example, a broken banister from the Primrose Nursery, and the broken bike tray from the cottontail rabbit carry case. I use them as baby beds, too, and they can be coloured to suit any room style.


7. Paint tray/palette
Again, balsa wood! It's a bit tricky to shape, but they turn out well. I use nail scissors to create the hole, and then acrylic paint to create a texture, although any non-staining felt pen would probably be as good.


8.
Using the same wooden blocks I used from the Jack in the box. I simply painted the sides, but I really like how they turned out. I plan to eventually put numbers and letters on them.

Thanks for reading! I'd love to see your replicas of these, and any toys you have made for your little friends.


Comments

  1. These toys look really good, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative, Fox! Kids in your village are lucky to have so many toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you posted this! I have wondered what I was going to do about toys for my sylvanians. When I was growing up small plastic toys were much easier to come by that could be used for Sylvanians than they seem to be now and unfortunately everything I used growing up along with my miniatures that I had disappeared over the last 29-30 years. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to enter comments! Reminder: the little ones can see these, and we will remove any with bad language.

Popular Posts